Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 17 of 30-Day Charity Challenge

An article about Give(3) ran in the Des Moines Register. Initially, I thought the article was just going to be a little blurb. Much to my surprise, the article was on the front page of Iowa Life and the picture of me was about half the page. See the article here.

I got a lot of excellent feedback, and some new ideas. Thanks to everyone for all the comments, and for sharing the links. Also, while I was commuting back from my morning job I was listening to my usual Life 107.1, and they were talking about my 30-Day Charity Challenge. Kind of surreal these past couple days. I’m very grateful for all the publicity Give(3) has gotten these past couple of days, I hope the result of all this is that people will decide to get out and give. Giving is so easy during the Christmas season, but I think it’s important to continue to give throughout the year. The perfect time to start is right now at the beginning of the year. I have a lot of ideas for the future, and after the 30-Day Charity Challenge I plan to give at least once a week.

Tuesday was my 3rd week of Tuesday Tip Giveaway. I chose the first table to be part of my tip giveaway. My first table was a young couple about 1 or 2 years older than me. We had something in common right away, her father is a pork producer and she works with the Iowa Soybean Association. This is the same type of job I would love to have, just with the pork producers instead. Katie and what I assume was her boyfriend or husband were very easy to talk to and just the type of customers servers love to have.  When they were finished eating I decided to approach them about Give(3) and asked them if they would like to be involved. Since the article was published that day, I decided to show them so they knew a little but more about what I was doing. They seemed more than happy to be involved, and they decided they wanted their tip to go to “Special Delivery Homes for Haiti”

The following is from the Office of the Governor:

Today, the living conditions in the Port au Prince area remain mostly grim. Despite an outpouring of international aid, help is still needed. More than 600,000 Haitians are still living under tarps and in tent cities. Poverty and hopelessness are rampant. The SafeTHome, designed by Brett Nelson of Sheffield-­based Sukup Manufacturing Co., is ideal for Haiti. It measures 18-­feet wide by 14-­feet tall and is made entirely of metal, making it resistant to termites and moisture. Each home can sleep 10 or more and features a double-­roofed system that displaces heat, two windows that can be locked from within and a water collection system. The SafeTHome can also withstand strong winds and is virtually earthquake proof. The cost of each unit is $5,700, has a life expectancy of 75 years and can be assembled on-­site with simple hand tools.

Katie Holtz and her friends’ generous tip of $22.91 will help provide shelter for those suffering in Haiti. Donate to Home for Haiti here

No comments:

Post a Comment